Friday, April 3, 2009

The city of New Orleans

I'm back in Matt's apartment, waiting for him to come home so that we can go out and be silly and have fun times in the French Quarter.

My presentation went well this morning. I love giving presentations. Public speaking is on my (short) list of things I'm good at, which is lucky, because we had very little time to make a plan for this presentation. I wrote this paper with a professor and another grad student, and the professor declined to meet with us to prepare, making the other grad student nearly "rend herself in two" (thanks James) with worry. But it was fine, and our whole session was pleasant.

That was at 8am this morning, which isn't even a real time in my normal world. Afterwards I went to Cafe DuMond and ate beignets with two other grad students, which was delightful. Then I tore my feet to pitiful little shreds walking back to Matt's in unwise shoes. Ah well. It's nothing that wasn't made better by gummy bears, a trashy book (Dan Brown's new one - seriously.), and a nap.

I really like New Orleans. Maybe I should just move here. It's not like my solid plans are materializing, anyway. I still haven't heard from Georgia State, although I harassed one of them yesterday (she claimed to know nothing) and another was in my presentation this morning.






It's list time!
New Orleans pros and cons:

Pros: Never gets cold. Nice architechture. Good food. Near the water. Good colleges. Mardi Gras.

Cons: Always muggy. Lots of crime. Lots of poverty. I don't know anyone who still lives here. Expensive. Lots of drunk people. Mardi Gras. French/Cajun/mumbly-business is hard to understand.

Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment