Monday, April 6, 2009

3 and 3

I was just watching this decorating show while I ate my lunch, and it got me thinking. In the show the decorator (Thom from Queer Eye - I love him) tells his clients to gather their three favorite items of clothing and their three favorite pieces of furniture. Based on what they bring him, he decorates their house. Naturally, I began to consider what I would show him.

Furniture:
1. My desk. It's my all-time favorite piece of furniture. It's big and sturdy and made of unvarnished walnut. I like its rounded edges and scuff marks. It has three drawers and three shelves and is difficult to move because it's incredibly heavy.
2. My bed. It was made by some relative - my great uncle, perhaps? Great-great uncle? Something like that. Anyway. It's handmade out of hardwood (maybe cherry) and is roughly full-sized, although it was made before mattress standardization. I have a big puffy mattress pad and a big puffy down comforter, soft jersey sheets, and several pillows to make it even better.
3. My day bed. Made by the same mysterious relative. It was also made on a lathe and you have to string it with rope. It always gets really saggy and comfortable after a month or two.

Clothing:
(This part is a lot harder)
1. My favorite black dress. It's really simple - black, strapless, curve-hugging, no adornment. I've worn it to absolutely everything because it's appropriate for lots of occasions and because I love it.
2. My scottie pants. I wear these pants every day. In fact, I'm wearing them right now. They're red and they have little embroidered scotties on them, which I like to pretend are actually Cairn terriers. They're just soft cotton pajamas.
3. And I just don't know what else to add. My favorite black cardigan? My leopard print super bra? The American flag underpants I wear to scary things, to give me secret confidence? My Burberry trench? My purple Kenyon hoodie? My World's Fair hoodie?

Anyway. I'm also not sure what all this says about me. I'd welcome comments, and if anyone knows how to get in touch with Thom, we'll ask him.



In other news:
I'm working on the suggested changes to my thesis right now. I should finish within the week.
It's cold here.
I had SO MUCH fun with Matt in New Orleans.
I let Jessica pick my new hair color, since she says I never pick correctly. I'm not convinced by her choice.
I seem to have gotten incredibly fat on account of all the stress eating and baking during thesis time. I'm going to have to work on that.
I got a super awesome egg that's painted like a shark at Walgreens last night. But the jellybeans inside were awful.
I finally have a key to the roof. New goal: have sex on the roof.
I finished my Dan Brown book. Now I need a new book. Suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I just finished "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson. It's long meandering tome, but fascinatingly thought provoking. Kind of the opposite of Dan Brown, so...

    ReplyDelete