Sunday, April 19, 2009

Good/Bad

New Shoes - see below
Reverse view of certification of thesis - see below.


The Good News:

I turned in the final copy of my thesis to the graduate school on Thursday. It was an oddly grueling process because of the formatting and page number bullshit that they required. After all of it, I was afraid the page numbers were going to do me in. But I did it, thanks to Jorge in the graduate school, who is a genius with Word. God bless him. I should send him a muffin basket.

Work is profitable.

Mike Palm's new hobby is giving me shoes. He gave me these amazing leopard print Nike high tops, and I'm still trying to figure out how to wear them. I think those shoes might be cooler than me.



The Bad News:

I may not have a future anymore. I finally got in contact with GA State, which has the PhD program I want the most, and they told me that because they have not received one of my transcripts and one of my recommendation letters, they have NOT EVEN PROCESSED my application. I won't know for sure until tomorrow, but this might mean that I won't be able to go there this fall. Which means I would have to wait a year to start a PhD program. Which means I no longer have a future. I've been floating around in limbo since about December, just waiting to find out what was going to happen and where I was going to live, and it's STILL out of my hands. I'm doing what I can, and I have Dr. Presser on my side with her mighty powers of email and phone calls, so we'll see.

I got a talking to at work for not pretending to care about work. They said my attitude has been bad and suggested I pretend to like work to make it more pleasant. If the other bartenders and I were doing our jobs as badly as management has been doing theirs, we would be fired. But indicating that this may be the case by asking questions like "but why don't we have more than 4 cases of beer for Sundown?" or "we only have $50 dollars in ones for change?" is clearly problematic and disrespectful. So I've been pretending my ass off, by which I mean taking shots and not asking questions, and things seem fine. Although deep down, I'm not sure that anyone is fooled.

A cute boy I had been flirting with (and who I thought was flirting back) introduced me to his GIRLFRIEND and their BABY this week. He could have mentioned them earlier.

A customer heard me talking to someone else about her baby and said "it looks like you have one on the way, huh?" the other night. To which I responded "no, I'm just fat", which is true. But this meant that I couldn't handle the bad grad school news with food, which is how I normally handle stress (which is why I'm fat which is why strangers must think I'm pregnant) for fear of customers continuing to think I'm pregnant.

Jessica left town today to go hang out with her family in Franklin, which means I don't even get to do my usual Sunday night ritual of dinner with her and Mike. Which makes it difficult to process my feelings and get advice. I may go out with Josh instead, but it's always hard to tell, with Josh. He might see something shiny and forget.

Oh, and it's raining, so I guess I won't take Phineas to the park, which was my plan for today.


So grumpy!

No comments:

Post a Comment