Sunday, May 10, 2009

Non-sequiter updates

A guy told me the other night that as long as your headwear and your footwear are clean, you're rockin it. This was a hip-hop kid, and it was said in reference to my comments on his extremely fancy hat. I'm pretty sure he meant that your head/foot accessories have to be "fresh" and not merely "not dirty", but what do I know. I was wearing Crocs and no headwear at all.

I didn't walk or even go to the ceremony, but Friday was graduation day for the graduate students. Barring any big surprises from the Big Orange Screw, I'm officially Lanier, M.A. My master's thesis is the best thing I've ever written, and I'm really proud of it. I need to do something to celebrate, and I'm thinking a small cocktail party in the Sunsphere. Yes?

I've started running for exercise. I had to make sure I still hate running, and I do, but my tiny new boobs make it a lot easier. Phineas, on the other hand, LOVES running. He's faster than me and wants to run for longer than me.

I made my very own Spitzbuben the other day. These are otherwise known as Crack Cookies. I'll post some pictures soon, since I got more preserves to make another batch. Sooo goooood. I'm holding out for Jessica's grandma's recipe, but the one I have is really yummy.

I found out that my ex-boyfriend is delusional. I had made my peace with him simply being an insecure asshole, but it turns out that he sincerely thinks I should drop all academic pretensions and be a housewife. His basis for this reasoning is that I like cooking and crafty projects, and one time I let him help with the most simple part of part of my statistics homework. I never really talked to him about my academic work because he didn't understand it and he would go off on lecturing tangents, and perhaps this gave him the idea that the stuff I did talk to him about, ie: baking, was more important to me. Or maybe he's just a delusional moron who once told me he was smarter than me and that I shouldn't continue grad school to get a PhD because we should start having babies immediately.

It's Mother's Day. A few weeks ago I thought it was Mother's Day because of all the adverts, so I called my mom to wish her a happy day, only to find out that it was weeks away. I'm going home this coming weekend, so maybe I'll make her brunch or something then.

I'm going home for Katie's wedding. I have procured the perfect black dress and new black heels, so I think I'm ready. But I want another cute and summery dress for the rehersal and shower nonsense, so maybe I'll keep shopping...

Work is really weird now because my bartending parter in crime, Mr. Palm, has left me. He got a "real" job as a tour manager for a hip-hop group. Another bartender got suspending for drinking too much while on the clock. So now there's only two real bartenders left. At least I still have my own pet barback. I'll post a blog about him soon.

I'm working on two pieces for publishing right now. They're both pieces of my thesis, and one is dumbed down and made exciting with the intention of publishing it in a women's magazine, and the other is for an academic journal. Yay, publishing!

I'm sad that both of the newspaper vending machines (what the hell are those called, anyway?) in my vacinity are jammed, because I really want a Sunday paper.

Time to work on Erika's present, watch some TV, and figure out what to do with my evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment