Monday, June 29, 2009

Wonderful Week

Hello loyal reader(s)

I've had a fucking fantastic week, and I'd like to tell you all about it.

On Monday morning I was sitting at my parents' kitchen table, eating a banana and doing something really idiotic like looking at lolcats, when I realized I had an email. I started reading it and gasped, which scared my parents, who were in the room because there is no privacy around here. The email said that they had awarded me a full graduate assistantship! With paid tuition, a stipend, health insurance, and rainbows and unicorns and guaranteed happiness. I believe they'll even provide a boyfriend. I still can't believe how wonderful this is. I was worried for a while that I had no future, but now I have the best possible future.

So I'll be moving to the ATL in August. I'm currently apartment hunting (with the help of the newly minted Mr. and Mrs. DePalma) and trying to figure out when to go see the apartments in person.

This means that for the month of July I'm remaining a giant free-loader and traveler. I don't know precisely what this month holds - I had planned on being in Charleston for a few weeks, but I need to go to Atlanta, too. And at the end of the month I'll be in Denver. So...yeah. If you need me, call me, I'll probably be in America.

So anyway. That was Monday morning, and on Monday night the Irish arrived. This whole week I got to host two handsome and charming Irish men, which was pretty much like having drunk pets. They weren't interested in making their own decisions or being any trouble, so no matter what I suggested, they were totally down. I kept trying to come up with hilarious southern things to do, which mostly involved eating. We had grits, fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, pecan pie, Mexican food, biscuits, and iced tea. We saw the General Lee, went to a Civil War site, canoed down the Harpeth, sat on porches and drank, had a cookout, and went to two different malls. It was, to borrow their term, fucking savage.

They were in town because Erika got married this weekend. They used to live in the same apartment in Galway, where Erika was studying abroad. Anyway. Erika had her ceremony in Bon Aqua, which was roughly an hour from everything. Seriously - no matter where you started, you had a journey ahead of you. But it was beautiful out there - especially after we finished decorating according to Erika's standards. She did virtually everything herself - the invitations, the place cards, the menus, our hair decorations, the place settings, the table decorations, the jewelry she gave us bridesmaids for presents, etc. - and it was all amazing. I can't even imagine how she did it.

The ceremony was beautiful, the reception was fun, and the afterparty was drunken. I'm pretty sure that's all you can ask from a wedding. Oh, and I got to spend some quality time with a very funny and charming man. Oh, and my dress was dead sexy and my hair was flapper-inspired. I'll try to remember to post pictures soon.


Everyone left town today, and I guess I'll go back to being lonely. I'll need a least a few days to recover from a long week of partying, but damn - what a good week.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself! Please travel for all of next month because I'll be living vicariously through you while I slave away at my day job.

    I MISS YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. What John said. There's still a funny and charming man in Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad you had just as much fun last week as i did! thanks so much for being there for me (as cliched and silly as that sounds, i mean it) that weekend. and thanks for being my back-up coordinator!!!

    and LOL @ "drunken pets" - too true ;)

    ReplyDelete