Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How to make kale chips

My goal for this week was to learn how to eat kale.

I know how to put kale in my mouth and chew it, but I've always found it really unappealing. It's so...leafy and bland and chewy. But I also know that kale is a "superfood" and good for me, so I wanted to try to find a way to make it palatable.

Enter kale chips.

As it turns out? Kale chips are awesome. And baking them doesn't nullify the healthy aspects of kale! (Unfortunately, dipping carrots in ranch nullifies carrots.) So I'm going to teach you how to make kale chips yourself, so that we can all enjoy some superfoods.

1. Buy a giant bunch of kale. I don't know why, but it's always sold in giant bunches.

in the bag

2. Wash the kale and then dry it a lot. Or, if you have to go to work, leave it to dry in your collander and hope no animals eat it while you're gone.

whole leaf

3. When it's all dry, tear it up into little pieces. Make them bitesize.

tear it up

4. Spread the pieces out on a baking sheet, and set your oven to 375.

on the sheet

5. Now comes the most important part: drizzle oil on the leaf-bites. Olive oil is preferable, but perhaps you only have canola oil on hand, like myself. It will still work.

oil!

And then salt it! Again, kosher salt is awesome but straight up Morton's table salt will do.

salt!

6. Now bake it for about 10 minutes. Check on it to make sure it doesn't get TOO brown, but let it brown a little around the edges.

post baking

These are possibly a little too brown.

7. Now you can share them with your vegan co-workers! Everybody likes kale chips.

vegans like them


And if you have some left over, your furry black vacuum cleaner will eat them.

terriers like them

5 comments:

  1. I miss you and your biteyface. And I would gladly nom upon those kale chips with you while watching Boyfriends if only I could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! timmy makes a fried version. the crispiness is delectable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can buy a 5 pound bag of kale at my store....or in a giant bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man! Eeka made these for me last time I came to visit. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lanier,

    I was on Katie's blog explaining how women should simply will themselves to power and overcome certain types of hegemony instead of just sitting on their hands all the time when I noticed your blog.

    First of all, give full-sized kale a chance. The chips get way too salty. Now--your chard, your red kale, your bok choy--it's all good. Just throw it in the pan with some oil, and baby, you got a stew goin'.

    Now, ask me about my chanterelle pizza-from-scratch recipe. Go on, do it.

    ReplyDelete