Friday, July 10, 2009

In which Dorothy and Toto abscond to an island

I had a pretty big week.



I went on my first solo road trip.

I went on my first solo vacation.

I found and signed a lease on an apartment.

I mastered docking the boat all by myself.



Toto had a big week, too. He learned about riding on boats, jumping through marsh, rolling in the sand, how not to eat crabs that are still alive and pinching you, and that waves are dangerous. Here's a video of his new hobby:




So here's the long version of what I did all week: I drove to Atlanta Friday morning, looked at the apartments Friday afternoon, and signed a lease. I love my new apartment. It's in a brick building from the 1920's, and it's a tiny tiny hole. Seriously. I stayed with Katie and Nick, who were very sweet about showing me around. We went to little 5 Points and on a mini driving tour of downtown Atlanta. Plus our dogs got along really well. I'm looking forward to living right next to them.

On Saturday I drove to Charleston (specifically, to my uncle's island house which can only be reached by boat), and spent the 4th of July on an island, just like in the Band of Horses song. I climbed up on the roof of the gazebo with Phineas and I could see three different fireworks displays - it was amazing. And also kind of sensory-overload, because I could never decide where to look.

I spent several days by myself on the island, which I think is the farthest away I've ever been from other humans for an extended period of time. I really liked it. I did some fishing and some crabbing and some pointless cruising around in the boat. And then I got sick and spent some time sleeping and puking and sleeping and puking. But still! A nice place for it.

Then I drove home, stopping in Knoxville over night. I had a nice dinner with Mike, drinks with Kaitlin and company, and even got to stop by the Grotto. I really missed getting petted on by my pet barback. And any night spent laughing with Jamie and Palm is a good one.

I'm back home now, and I think I've finally washed all the sand off me. Time to get back to normal life.

1 comment:

  1. oh wow, that video was sooo cute! is it really shallow there or something? or is phineas the messiah? he was so bouncy! ahn!

    ReplyDelete